[antlr-interest] ANTLR performance

amit sehas cun23 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 10:15:39 PDT 2011

We have been utilizing ANTLR for various needs for quite some time. Many thanks for a great product. We are looking to utilize it for an SQLish language. I had a few questions:

a) is it very difficult to express SQL kind of grammar in LL(*) form, or are you already aware of any attempts to do so?

b) with the above how would it perform with respect to bison. Something in the ballpark of 2X slow down is acceptable to us since, our queries never go beyond 2000 bytes.

we currently utilize Bison and are figuring out the features/performance tradeoff... i understand that the main slow down in the parser comes from backtracking which if the grammar is expressed in LL(k) form it should have less need to do...

Greatly appreciate any help, once again thanks for a great product..