[antlr-interest] [v2 to v3][C++/C] Fresh list of features for v3.4? // @after

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Wed Sep 7 11:55:48 PDT 2011

On 9/7/11 7:30 PM, "Jim Idle" <jimi at temporal-wave.com> wrote:

Hi Jim,

> It is a C target not a C++ target, so it is raw and closer to the metal.
> It is a lot faster than the 2.7 C++ target as a result, but you have to
> dig a little.

I very hope on this btw, because ANTLR 2.7 parser, which we have used in
Valentina was, for example, slower about x4 times of Lemon parser used in
the SqlLite. So our SQL commands e.g. have work slower of SqlLite, while
Valentina engine itself (if not use SQL) do inserts x20 times faster ...

> Starting at the C API documentation linked from the ANTLR front page,
> select ANTLR3 C Usage Guide then Using the ANTLR3 C Target, then
> implementing Customized Methods, where you find the following text:
>
> Implementing Customized Methods
> Unless you wish to create your own tree structures using the built in
> ANTLR AST rewriting notation, you will rarely need to override the default
> implementation of runtime methods. The exception to this will be the
> syntax err reporting method, which is essentially a stub function that you
> will usually want to provide your own implementation for. You should
> consider the built in function displayRecognitionError() as an example of
> where to start as there can be no really useful generic error message
> display

Jim, I hope you have see that I have TWO days jump over all pages ...
And of course I have read all this already.

> Selecting that shows you the documentation for that function. This is what
> you should override. Start by copying the example version in the runtime,
> then adapt it to your own needs. It is pretty easy.

Yes, I already have copy it and replace to sprintf()  into char buffer.

> Also, searching from the Support page of antlr.org:
>
> http://markmail.org/search/list:antlr+C+displayRecognitionError

I did search and google, and StackOverflow, and Antlr list...
I have read EACH letter about "exception" for last 5 years on list.
:-)

> Or, as there is no work out there in the world right now, you could just
> hire me to do it all for you :)

I will answer you in details privately, :-)

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology