[antlr-interest] Re : incremental

Sam Harwell sharwell at pixelminegames.com
Fri Sep 30 11:21:16 PDT 2011

Hi J. Rampon,

I have an application in which individual files frequently change, and
reparsing the entire set of 4000 files would take a significant amount of
time. I handle this situation by keeping the parsed information in a
"loosely bound" cache, so my incremental updates are simply reparsing a
single file.

ANTLR does not have any inherent ability to perform incremental parsing, and
in my experience would not be particularly useful. Carefully written
grammars can certainly analyze in excess of 100KB of source code/second
(mine in C# are closer to 1MB/sec).

Do you have a particular application where this approach would fail, but
incremental parsing within the file would succeed?

Sam