[antlr-interest] contemplating a move of mailing list to stackoverflow.com

Eric researcher0x00 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 19:02:25 PDT 2012

Chat rooms are nice for open ended discussions; the problem is that anybody
can say anything in a chat room. If you have too many people in the room,
it is like any other chat room, hard to track one conversation.

On the plus side, you can see who is in the chat room, summon people to a
chat room using @<tag> if they are logged in and see the history of the
chat. Then there is the rep game. You need 20 rep to join a chat room if
you are logged in. If you submit a question anonymously, then you won't
even see the chat room. At 100 rep you can create a chat room. I haven't
created one, but I have seen some created for temporary use, but they never
seem to go away.

One idea is to create your own Stack Exchange site. You could create the
ANTLR site in Area 51 see:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/ and http://area51.stackexchange.com/faq

You will need to have at least 200 people committed and actively using the
site for it to make it into a real site. If you can't scrounge up 200 ANTLR
people, try creating a parsing site, then invite everyone you know who does
parsing and hope the moderators don't shut you down because you would be
taking away from other sites.

Also, you might consider moving the ANTLR questions out of StackExchange
and into one of the other sites such as Computer Science, see:

http://cs.stackexchange.com/

Eric