[antlr-interest] contemplating a move of mailing list to stackoverflow.com

Bart Kiers bkiers at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 23:07:58 PDT 2012

Hi Eric, list,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Eric <researcher0x00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chat rooms are nice for open ended discussions; the problem is that anybody
> can say anything in a chat room. If you have too many people in the room,
> it is like any other chat room, hard to track one conversation.

I agree: a Google-group might be more suitable than chat.

> One idea is to create your own Stack Exchange site. You could create the
> ANTLR site in Area 51 see:
>
> http://area51.stackexchange.com/ and http://area51.stackexchange.com/faq
>
> You will need to have at least 200 people committed and actively using the
> site for it to make it into a real site. If you can't scrounge up 200 ANTLR
> people, try creating a parsing site, then invite everyone you know who does
> parsing and hope the moderators don't shut you down because you would be
> taking away from other sites.

Yes, I thought about that too and suggested it to Terence off-list, but
after looking into it a bit more, I don't think ANTLR/ST has enough
"weight" for its own SE-site. Especially these requirements:

- 15 questions per day on average is a healthy beta, 5 questions or fewer
per day needs some work;
- 1500 visits per day is good, 500 visits per day needs some work.

seem like a tall order if I look at the present ANTLR activity on
stackoverflow and on the list (not sure how active ST is...).

> Also, you might consider moving the ANTLR questions out of StackExchange
> and into one of the other sites such as Computer Science, see:
>
> http://cs.stackexchange.com/

Seeing that many ANTLR related questions often have concrete questions and
target-specific (programming) questions, I think they're best suited in
stackoverflow, not the CS-sister site. Besides, I'm not sure if the SE team
is going to move more than 1000 questions: they do it with single
questions, or a hand full, but not such a large amount.

Regards,

Bart.