[antlr-interest] Stack overflow in Antlr extensions

Peter Piper peterpiper797 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 2 06:31:59 PST 2012

Thank you, Sam, for the extensions, they are very useful! However, I think I may have come across a problem. It's probably because of the messy way that I write code but, consider a grammar like this:

   myRule : subRule anotherSub*
           ;

   subRule : SOMETHING
          ;

   anotherSub
          : SOMETHINGELSE
          ;

If I change the anotherSub to insert a new clause at the start (i.e. hit Enter and '|'):

   anotherSub
          :
          | SOMETHINGELSE

          ;

and then hit "Save", Visual Studio 2010 will crash, apparently with a Stack Overflow (sometimes it tells me that's the problem and other times it just freezes).

I checked today that I'm using version 1.0.6.318 of the extensions which I believe to be the latest. I get the impression that something doesn't like the infinite loop that this generates. Also, I assume it's the extensions because I'm not building the grammar, merely editing it; unless, of course, the extensions are invoking Antlr3 behind the scenes?

Yours,

Dan