[antlr-interest] Pie and simple expression calculator

goodwin goodwin at essence-property.com
Mon Jan 2 09:45:03 PST 2012

I am new to ANTLR, and want some capabilities similar to Pie and the
expression calculator, as extended with functions. I work with floating
point data, and want to extend the intrinsic functions (e.g. Sin, Cos etc.)
and all calculations will actually be done on float arrays.

I want a simple grammar suitable for engineers - not too sure whether Python
is the best starting point...I myself prefer a few brackets and endif etc.

However, the implementations of Pie and the simple expression calculator are
very different.

Do you think it is best for me to start with Pie and adapt it for my needs,
or look at both approaches and learn from them both?

My main purpose is to progress rapidly, not to become an expert in ANTLR.