[antlr-interest] [stringtemplate-interest] anybody care to comment on bitbucket.org?

John D. Mitchell jdmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 14:54:19 PST 2012

On Jan 9, 2012, at 14:45 , Barrie Treloar wrote:
[...]
> Can you provide specifics?
> Since I'm new to both, they both were not obvious with a svn mentality.
> hg definitely didn't stand out as being easier than git.

I think you're the first person coming from svn that I've ever heard say that.

Hg has a command set and lingo that's an easier transition from svn/cvs. Git has a command set that is baroque at best and they use their own whacked definition for terms like "branch" that is wildly different from what branch means in pretty much every other scm.

Hg and Git are comparable on a feature basis.

However, Hg and Git are built with very different philosophies. Git is perfectly happy to allow mutation of history. Hg, on the other hand, is very much against rewriting history (but there are extensions that allow for it when you really do need it, if ever).

Github is definitely better than Bitbucket on many things. Now that Atlassian has bought bitbucket, there's hope that the gap will close.

Have fun,
John