[antlr-interest] Antlr v4 - C++ target -- idea for Terrence ...

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Thu Jan 12 10:46:54 PST 2012

On 1/11/12 6:26 PM, "Terence Parr" <parrt at cs.usfca.edu> wrote:

Hi Terrence,

> My focus for Honey Badger is not speed. It's ease of use.

Easy of use is important.

Easy of PORTING
        v2 => v3,

As well as future
        v2 => v4        (??)
        v3 => v4

Also is very important. Right?

I just have sent letter-answer to Jim, about pain-points we did have in
v2-v3 porting of our C++/C grammars.

At least will try not loose existed features as reuse()   :-)

> Most people are
> fine with speed even if not optimal.  Most compiler writers don't use parser
> generators so I'm less worried about speed.

Well, we develop DBMS, so our SQL queries are small actually,
But we care about millions possible commands in hot loop

You really recommend us start develop hand-parser ?? :-)

I believe in your book I have read something as
    NEVER do hand-parser :)  to avoid many pain ...

Well, may be somebody know what parser generator is the fastest on this
planet? :-)

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin