[antlr-interest] Exception with ANTLR language extension in Visual Studio 2010

Jean-Sebastien Pelletier jean-sebastien.pelletier at ubisoft.com
Wed Jul 4 14:47:29 PDT 2012

Hi Sam,

I've installed your VSIX extension for Visual studio. I'm using Visual Studio 2010 SP1

Syntax highlight seems to work but I'm getting an exception when opening .g files and I'm getting a message box similar to this:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
Visual Studio has encountered an exception. This may be caused by an extension.

You can get more information by running the application together with the /log parameter on the command line, and then examining the file 'C:\Users\....\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActivityLog.xml'.

I've run devenv with the /log commandline as advised by the message box. I've attached the resulting devenv log file .xml file.

Here are some stuff I found in the log file...
    <description>Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Tvl.VisualStudio.Language.Antlr3.AntlrLanguagePackage, Tvl.VisualStudio.Language.Antlr3, Version=1.0.10.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=eb42632606e9261f]</description>

    <description>System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Tvl.VisualStudio.Shell.OutputWindow.Interfaces, Version=1.0.0.626, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=eb42632606e9261f&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;File name:

It seems that some dll referenced by the extension is not included in the installer.

I've also found that if I remove the two related extensions I don't get any exception anymore and the addin is still working but I'm loosing the navigation bar.

Thanks for your help
Jean-Sébastien