[antlr-interest] Irregular AST construction

Benjamin S Wolf jokeserver at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 18:11:58 PDT 2012

Hi Mike,

If I had to guess, I'd say Antlr is not actually looking at the end of
that rule when it generates the code for the subrule (so it uses
streams in case you have more of the same tokens or rules); you'll get
similar code if you leave out the ( COLLATE_SYM identifier )* but
leave the parens around the alternatives.

Personally, I've always had problems with rewrite rules appearing in
alternatives, particular when I try to reference labels that appear
later in the rule (in e.g. your example, you can't reference
"identifier" in a rewrite rule in the subrule above it). My strategy
such cases is to use semantic predicates instead of embedding rewrite
rules in subrules:

primary:
        (
                | PLUS_SYM p1=primary
                | MINUS_SYM p2=primary
        )
        (options {greedy = true;}: COLLATE_SYM identifier)*
        -> {$function_call}? ^(FUNCTION_CALL function_call)
        -> literal? field_name? ... PLUS_SYM? $p1? MINUS_SYM? $p2? ...
interval_expression? ( COLLATE_SYM identifier )*
;

Your case is a little longer than mine have been, so that kind of
rewrite rule may be a little heavyweight. You could also try moving
the long list of alternatives into its own rule -- if you don't have
parentheses around the whole thing it'll generate the right code (and
if you only want a list of tokens instead of a tree it'll work just
fine with the COLLATE subrule (though the COLLATE subtree will also be
returned in the function_call case, which it's not doing in the case
you gave)).