[antlr-interest] pull requests at github

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Wed Jul 11 13:04:46 PDT 2012

Howdy,

people are now submitting nice pull request to the ANTLR project software, but I have to keep the license clean. That's why I used to accept things through the feedback page:

http://www.antlr.org/misc/feedback

or with the contributors license agreement. I submitted a feature request to github to add such a license granting clause to the pull requests. they like the idea, but I haven't heard back about implementation.

What if we set up a webpage similar to the feedback page (current text enclosed at the bottom) with a text box where people can submit a URL to a pull request, certifying the origin of the material in that pull request.  The name/username/email etc. would have to match…very messy.

As a result of the certificate of origin, I could automatically post a comment to the pull request so that it somehow links the certificate.

Does anybody have any process or legal advice?

Ter

Submission certification of origin and rights

By hitting the submit button, you are warranting and representing that you have the right to release this code or other content free of any obligations to third parties and are granting Terence Parr and ANTLR project contributors, henceforth referred to as The ANTLR Project, a license to incorporate it into The ANTLR Project tools (such as ANTLRWorks and StringTemplate) or related works under the BSD license. (For large new code submissions or major new functionality, The ANTLR Project will ask you to become an official ANTLR project contributor). You understand that The ANTLR Project may or may not incorporate your submission and you warrant and represent the following:
I created this submission. I am the author of all contributed work submitted and further warrant and represent that such work is my original creation and I have the right to license it to The ANTLR Project for release under the BSD license. I hereby grant The ANTLR Project a nonexclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide license to reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works, and otherwise use this contribution as part of the ANTLR project, associated documentation, books, and tools at no cost to The ANTLR Project.
I have the right to submit. This submission does not violate the rights of any person or entity and that I have legal authority over this submission and to make this certification.
If I violate another's rights, liability lies with me. I agree to defend, indemnify, and hold The ANTLR Project and ANTLR users harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorney fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of my violation of these terms and conditions or my violation of the rights of another person or entity.
I have read this and do so certify