[antlr-interest] Lexer: strings that are starting sub-strings of another

Krishnan Subramanian krishsub at microsoft.com
Sun Jul 22 03:23:28 PDT 2012

Hello Benjamin, Jim:

Your responses are appreciated.

Maybe a bit of context is relevant here - which also makes my post long, but given that this is a relatively new area for me (language design, lexers, parsers), I'd more than appreciate thoughts of others more experienced in this area.

The context here is that there is an existing language that was built by a large public sector organization - essentially a homebrew solution developed over a number of years. This homebrew solution has a verbose language and an editor environment where a number of business specifications are defined (think 10s of thousands of lines of specifications). From the specifications, target code solutions are generated (C#/Java/etc.). The homebrew solution is built using a platform that is considered a business risk; and the intention is to use more standardized platforms and tools (say Eclipse or Visual Studio) in order to be able to write/maintain the specifications while still maintaining the code generation targets.

The challenge is that the homebrew solution specification language has no formal grammar defined.

So my initial approach was to define a lexer grammar and a parser grammar for the existing language for business specifications that would enable me to plug in the language into a development environment (say Visual Studio).

And without having to change key language elements in the existing specification language.

So if the specification language contained a keyword 'is greater than'; then treating it as a contextual keyword vs. an actual keyword (in my thinking) also meant the difference between a lexer recognizing it immediately (and being able to flag as such immediately in an editor that gives you individual lines instead of the whole text block) vs. a parser later on in the cycle recognizing it as one after seeing sequences of tokens and interpreting it as a keyword given certain rules - say the tokens appear in a particular order.

Thoughts?

-krish