[antlr-interest] JavaScript target support?

David Korz dkorz at xovertime.com
Sat Nov 17 15:28:40 PST 2012

I'm looking for guidance on using antlr with the JavaScript target. Is there a release that's production ready? Is JavaScript a supported target?

Running the 3.4 version on the sample T.g grammar generates many error messages and unusable *.js files. The 3.3 jar runs cleanly and generates code, although I haven't tried it. 3.4 is over a year and 1/2 old and 3.3 is older. I found references to these problems on the web but it appears they never were fixed which leads me to believe this is not actively maintained.

I found the 3.4.1 snapshot jar but that's missing the manifest so it doesn't run at all. The github source refers to 3.5 but it appears that has never been released and it's not clear it will be. I could make the effort to setup the development environment and build from source but I haven't been a Java developer in years so I'd like some confirmation this is worth the effort.

I also see that antlr 4 is near release which might be better to go with (I won't be in production myself for 2-3 months) but again I wonder if the JavaScript target is supported.

Any advice is appreciated!