[antlr-interest] State of Ruby Support

Curt Sampson cjs at cynic.net
Tue Oct 16 21:27:45 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-16 18:44 +0900 (Tue), Curt Sampson wrote:

> However, I'm having some difficulties getting things set up, and I'm
> wondering what the current state of Ruby support is.

Well, it appears that the Ruby target in ANTLR 3.4 doesn't work, and
from the resounding silence to my queries, is pretty much entirely
unsupported. There was some discussion about a month ago on this list
about getting the Ruby target working again (either for 3.4 or 4.0--it
wasn't clear which), but that didn't seem to go anywhere beyond, "it's
not trivial" along with a few useful bits of advice from other target
authors.

That said, if anybody else out there is looking to use ANTLR with Ruby
you need not totally despair. Kyle Yetter's version on GitHub appears
to be complete (i.e., you don't need to download anything else) and
working, at least as far as compiling and running my sample parser from
my previous message. It's not entirely new (last updated 2011-10-16, and
using ANTLR 3.2.1-SNAPSHOT of 2010-07-31), but it's good enough for my
purposes at least.

If anybody happens to start working again on updating this target for
a newer version of ANTLR (either 3.4 or 4.0), feel free to drop me a
note if you feel I can help you in any way.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs at cynic.net>         +81 90 7737 2974

It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.
    --Alan Perlis, Epigrams on Programming (#7)