[antlr-interest] Lexing almost arbitrary input

Mandy Neumann mandy at think-a-lot.de
Sun Oct 28 07:06:30 PDT 2012

Thank you all very much for your input and estimations.

Unfortunately, I'm just a student assistent at our institute, so if my
professor and lecturers say "we wanna use antlr, go write us a grammar",
I have like not much choice. So I eventually tried.

The question for me now is: Are there compelling arguments AGAINST using
antlr in this case? Or is it just like "antlr is not made for this, but
you can nevertheless use it"? I would really appreciate if someone can
explain it to me, maybe from a language designer's view, in terms of the
theory of parser construction or sth. I'm really not an expert in this
field (just know the essence about lexing, parsing and formal grammars),
but I'd like to understand it in more detail and maybe get some
arguments to bring up against my colleagues.

Thanks again.