[antlr-interest] Most up-to-date C runtime WAS: Re: ANTLR 3.5 (was 3.4.1)

Stephen Gaito stephen at perceptisys.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 07:34:59 PDT 2012

Mike,

Let me deal with the issue of" most up to date C runtime" first (and
then after some more thought, your additional problems)...

SO:
> So what is now the most up to date C runtime? The one from you on Github? I can make a diff and send it to you if you want.
>
> Btw: the runtime on antlr.org still has 3.0.1 as version number in the README, even for the 3.4 download. The same holds true for your Git repo.

/The official C runtime will remain the one in the official ANTLR3 GitHub./

My changes have been /as conservative as possible/ (hence I have /not///
changed the version numbers -- as I do not regard my GitHub changes as
in anyway official or blessed by the ANTLR team).

The changes you see in my GitHub fork of ANTLR3 are the minimal changes
I needed to get my job done, but done in a public place so that anyone
who might find them useful could also use them.

For the near future, if you want to make use of my changes, I would
advise taking the patch files from my repository, which you can obtain
using GitHub tools, and applying them to the official download.

My understanding is that Jim Idle does not have access, for various
reasons, to git and GitHub... so the "official" C runtime accidentally
had some incorrect files uploaded (since I do not believe Terence, who I
think did the upload to GitHub, makes much or any use of the C runtime
-- but I could be wrong on this).

As to the most up-to-date C runtime... a quick (but not definitive) look
at the most recent changes on the various ANTLR3 forks suggests all of
the activity (which is not on my fork) is directed at the other targets,
so I suspect my fork includes the most complete set of changes.

At the time I made these changes Terence was busy re-structuring the
overall process of accepting new contributions.  As this process has
recently been made substantially easier, I will look into getting my
changes "pulled" into the main project.  (Though this might take a week
or two for me to get around to it).

Finally, I need to say, while any open-source software project has its
glitches, /the ANTLR3 project and the C runtime//, developed largely by
Terence Parr and Jim Idle (respectively), //are excellent tools./  I
have repeatedly tried to find better.... and I can not.

I hope this explanation helps,

Regards,

Stephen Gaito