[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.5 (was 3.4.1)

Kieran Simpson kierans777 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 01:28:49 PDT 2012

On 20/09/12 10:46 PM, Stephen Gaito wrote:
> Kieran,
>
> Which issues are these?

I was thinking of (in precedence order):

- Backtracking and labels (see
http://www.antlr.org/pipermail/antlr-interest/2012-March/044216.html).
I started working on this but got stuck, then got project diverted. All
the context is in the list thread and my code is at
https://github.com/kierans/antlr3

- Gated semantic predicates for C walkers
(http://www.antlr.org/pipermail/antlr-interest/2012-April/044387.html).
  However this may not be a bug as my question about gated semantic
predicates in walkers throwing exceptions didn't get a reply (are GSP
treated differently in walkers to parsers?)

- The last issue I was thinking about was more a feature request which I
don't expect has been done due to time constraints and that's Tree
Pattern Matchers
(http://www.antlr.org/pipermail/antlr-interest/2012-August/045126.html).

The first issue is a well known bug, the second may or may not be a bug,
and the third as mentioned is a feature because it's just missing due to
noone actually wanting it till now in the C target.

If anyone else who has worked on these issues has gotten them to work,
it would be nice to have the code in the 3.5 release.  If not, oh well.
  I'm not trying to bag Jim out here BTW, without his efforts for the C
target my project would be a bit stuffed as I think Antlr is the best of
breed tool, and I can't use Java as an implementation language. So I
personally really appreciate his efforts.

Cheers,