[antlr-interest] Re: breaking out of a closure loop

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Dec 11 17:20:42 PST 2001

Monty--

I think that a better idiom is

  otherRule
 (
 	{keepGoing}? otherRule
 )*

which works--it disambiguates "otherRule" from "NULL", which is a
viable alt for STAR loops.

ANTLR does not internally distinguish between validating and
disambiguating predicates.  I think that you are right that validating
predicates merit inclusion in an upgraded error-handling mechanism:
user defined exceptions at the grammar level (not in actions) would
certainly be a convenience for error reporting.

--Loring

--- In antlr-interest at y..., mzukowski at b... wrote:
> Ter, you need a disambiguating semantic predicate, yes?  Otherwise
an
> exception is thrown on the assumption that it is a validating
predicate.  So
> you have to have another alternative there.  I think the idiom I
used was:

> (
> 	{keepGoing}? otherRule
> 	| SOME_IMAGINARY_NEVER_GENERATED_TOKEN
> )+
>
> SOME_IMAGINARY_NEVER_GENERATED_TOKEN gives the loop a non-guarded
> alternative which will never be matched (because the lexer never
generates
> it) but gives the semantic predicate an alternative so the predicate
is
> disambiguating instead of validating.  When keepGoing is false then
no
> viable alternative will be found and the loop will break
appropriately.

> For antlr 3 would it be possible to incorporate a $break() as an
action?  Or
> some other appropriate distinction between a validating and
disambiguating
> predicate?  People always get confused between those two anyways.
And even