[antlr-interest] Re: How much abstraction would use recommend?

jsrs701 jsrs701 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 13:48:44 PST 2001

--- In antlr-interest at y..., Andreas Rueckert <a_rueckert at g...> wrote:
> What do you think is better:
> Keep the parser close the classfile structure and
> pass all the info to the user of the parser, but let him deal with
all the
> classfile structures (that he has to learn then first)?
> Or hide most of the classfile details and make the usage of the
parser very
> comfortable, so the user gets all the info plain in the rules, so
he doesn't
> have to understand the classfile structure at all?

Howdy, Andreas,

I hope I'm not completely misunderstanding the point of your project,
but I'd say you should DEFINITELY hide the classfile details from the
user.  The .class file format is obnoxious.  You can't even execute
it in place without doing a lot of preprocessing!  Ugh!

If your project isn't too proprietary, can you publish your class
file parser?  Ter's been wanting one to throw around for years.

Good luck,
JSRS