[antlr-interest] Newbie re: memory management on parse fail (C++) and Java

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Wed Oct 10 20:30:42 PDT 2001

On Wednesday, October 10, 2001, at 04:00  PM, Matthew Ford wrote:

> Has anyone check for memory leaks in the Java version?
>
> I know Java has automatic garbage collection but if the references to
> objects are not handled correctly you end up with old unused objects
> trapped
> in memory because of a  reference that has not been cleaned up.

I use a bunch of parsers in the jGuru.com portal (can't remember if I'm
doing any tree stuff though).  It runs for a month at a time sometimes
w/o a problem, but who's to say how much it would have to leak before
I'd notice.  I would say that ANTLR's pretty clean about leaving
structures around holding objects in memory.

Ter