[antlr-interest] grammars without any rules

N.V.S. Karunakar karunakar at objectsymphony.com
Fri Oct 12 03:39:49 PDT 2001

Hi,

   ANTLR doesn't allow a grammar definition without a rule. Consider this
case - We define a lexer for a language K. In the next version of K which is
NextK, all we do is to add a few keywords and add some syntactic constructs.
We will use grammar inheritance to add more rules to the parser. to add
extra key words we inherit from the K's lexer. we can add the new key words
to the tokens section of this new lexer. there is no need to add any new
lexer rules. but ANTLR insists on a rule. in this light can we allow
grammars without any rules ?

   greatly appreciate your views.

regards,
karunakar