[antlr-interest] Time for another question about Unicode support

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Wed Oct 24 02:24:23 PDT 2001

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 11:29:17PM -0600, David Ewing wrote:
> the C++ side. So, has using ICU been considered for ANTLR?

I've looked at it and at a few others. (but ICU looked quite nice maybe
nicest), then again I don't know if I want a dependency on some external
library... (without support in antlr's (c++) codegen to switch between
support libraries etc.)

So far I've ditched any attempts at unicode for C++. (I have no personal
interest in it, no interest from the project I'm working on (so my boss
won't sponsor it) and the subject is way to hairy (and uninteresting) to
spent my free time on)

> I may be able to help out in this effort, though for me that would mean
> starting work on it soon. My guess is that my time pressures will mean
> writing a custom lexer to deal with Unicode. Something that would return IDs
> with UTF-8 strings. But I'd rather not do it that way. I'd rather help out
> adding the support "the right way".

If you are willing to really look into this than I can only cheer you on =)
and help

> Anyhow, any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

See this post/thread for some thoughts I spewed out on this in the past:

Ric