[antlr-interest] New faq entries - import/export

Bogdan Mitu bogdan at nobugconsulting.ro
Mon Oct 29 09:57:54 PST 2001

Hi Ter,

I have some comments about the 3rd entry: Why can't I get the
exportVocab/importVocab directives to work with string literals across
multiple files?

I will argue that:
1. The real problem with that grammar is not the import/export relation, but
a bug in ANTLR.
2. The approach suggested for import/export, while correct (when not problem
1.), is not the best.

1. String literals in parser are not always converted to lexer tokens. For
instance, an occurrence of the string "if" in the parser grammar is
translated to LITERAL_if, but string "if0" (with a digit at the end) is not
converted to anything (just a commented line in XxxTokenTypes.txt). The same
happens in the grammar that originated this thread, were the string was
".accept" (starting with dot), and was not converted properly. This a bug in
ANTLR.

2.  If the parser imports the lexer vocabulary, as suggested, the lexer will
not know about the (implicit) tokens referred as strings in the parser.
Those tokens will have to be written down in the lexer itself, a tedious and
error prone activity.

A better solution is to make the lexer import the parser vocabulary:

class TestingParser extends Parser;
options {
  exportVocab=TestingParser;

class TestingLexer extends Lexer;
options {
  importVocab=TestingParser;

If the parser and lexer are in different files, the parser file has to be
compiled first.

Regards,
Bogdan