[antlr-interest] New faq entries - import/export

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Mon Oct 29 16:50:54 PST 2001

On Monday, October 29, 2001, at 09:57  AM, Bogdan Mitu wrote:

> Hi Ter,
>
> I have some comments about the 3rd entry: Why can't I get the
> exportVocab/importVocab directives to work with string literals across
> multiple files?
>
> I will argue that:
> 1. The real problem with that grammar is not the import/export
> relation, but
> a bug in ANTLR.
> 2. The approach suggested for import/export, while correct (when not
> problem
> 1.), is not the best.
>
> 1. String literals in parser are not always converted to lexer tokens.
> For
> instance, an occurrence of the string "if" in the parser grammar is
> translated to LITERAL_if, but string "if0" (with a digit at the end) is
> not
> converted to anything (just a commented line in XxxTokenTypes.txt). The
> same
> happens in the grammar that originated this thread, were the string was
> ".accept" (starting with dot), and was not converted properly. This a
> bug in
> ANTLR.

I use string literals across multiple files all the time (for example,
my tree grammars use literals all the time).

What exactly is the bug you refer to?  "if0" is specifically a literal
that doesn't work or is the whole literals scheme broken from your
perspective?

Ter
--
Chief Scientist & Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com