[antlr-interest] Parser performance - newbie question.

praveen_c praveen_c at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 00:54:10 PST 2002

Hi,

I'm new to the world of Parser Generators/Lexers. I just learned
about what ANTLR and JavaCC can do and I'm pretty excited about 'em.
While I don't have a complete understanding of what these tools can
do, I do have the following questions.

I'm trying to write a parser that recognizes specials tags in a HTML
template at runtime( in a J2EE server ). Would a parser generated
from ANTLR or JavaCC offer acceptable performance when used to parse
HTML templates at runtime? My gut feeling is that I can handcode a
parser that offers better performance that the generated parser. I
think I can optimize it better for my needs. Is that a right
approach? I know when it comes to extensibility, I'll loose. But I'm
willing take that risk.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

-Praveen.