[antlr-interest] A couple of questions regarding literals and unicode

davidjpenton2002 dpenton at arrowsash.com
Fri Dec 6 12:47:41 PST 2002

Greetings.  I am struggling a little with getting literals recognized.
I seem to have problems getting non-alphabetic characters to be
recognized in literals. For example:

class P extends Parser;

startRule
  :  "<?xml" SOMETHING
  ;

class L extends Lexer;
options
{
  charVocabulary="\003'..'\377';
}

SOMETHING : "abcd";

The inclusion of the non-alphabetic characters "<?" in the literal
seems to cause problems.

As you might guess, I am trying to parse some xml.  So this leads to a
more general question. Does antlr handle unicode?  The info on the
website does not seem to make it clear whether it does or not.

Thanks.

- Dave Penton -