[antlr-interest] Re: Translating PASCAL (or C) into JAVA

pietschoutteten pietschoutteten at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 06:41:40 PST 2002

Thank you Robert.

I know that one can never translate some source for 100% and I am
aware of the problems you've mentioned, they are the problem. There
is always a part that have to be made by hand.
But my question is
how can I translate PASCAL into JAVA with ANTLR?

Thanks
Piet

--- In antlr-interest at y..., "Robert" <renyedi at y...> wrote:
> Hi
>
> It is possible to translate Pascal or C into Java, but not for the
whole
> language. There is a 80-90% part of the language that should be
translated
> relatively straightforward.
>
> However, when it comes about pointers and pointer related constructs
> problems arise (this is especially a problem in case of C). And
let's not
> forget about the source language's libraries for which you may not
have the
> source code and you should make an emulation. This is the hard part.
>
> Robert

\java\examples\pascal)
> > and the GNU C parser from the website.
> >
> > ANTLR produces me the JAVA-files PascalLexer.java
PascalParser.java
> > and PascalTokenTypes.java
> > and I can build these together and test it with the example
P_0_1.pas
> > I also tested it with the grammer from Sinan (message 2398 Re:
Ter,