[antlr-interest] Java 1.4 and Antlr temporary files

Robert Colquhoun rjc at trump.net.au
Sat Feb 23 02:46:49 PST 2002

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else is getting a bunch of 'filename.antlr.tmp'
files in their build directories?

I only noticed this since upgrading to java 1.4 on windows, it does not
appear to be occurring on unix/java 1.3 or windows/java 1.3.  I traced this
back to the PreservingFileWriter class in antlr which is doing some sort a
caching i think.  It creates a temporary .antlr.tmp file which also
supposedly has deleteOnExit() set to remove it automatically, but for some
reason this does not happen.

Reading the doc:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/java/io/File.html#deleteOnExit()

...seems to indicate the file will not be deleted if the virtual machine
has a abnormal exit - which does not seem to be the case.......a bug then
perhaps?  The only other thing i could think of is the file is being opened
twice the first one gets destroyed on exit, but the second then flushes as
the virtual machine shuts down and writes out the file.

PS  Use of deleteOnExit() implies anltr now requires java 1.2+, ie it will
*not* work on 1.1 VMs like the MS JVM

PPS For some reason lately i am noticing lots of little irritating, but
harmless things like the above...maybe it is time for a holiday!  ;-)

  - Robert