[antlr-interest] Re: Is C# supported for parser generation yet pls?

micheal_jor open.zone at virgin.net
Sat Jan 19 10:13:43 PST 2002

--- In antlr-interest at y..., Terence Parr <parrt at j...> wrote:

Thank you for the helpful reply Terrence,

> > Does ANTLR support the creation of parsers in C#?
>
> Nope.  (not yet?)  I talked with a friend at M$ who said he had
one .5
> finished, but he's probably too busy to finish.  Code is pretty
dark and
> icky in there ;)

OK, that's could be good news really. If he hasn't got he time right
now and, he's happy to toss what he has into my cubicle with some
notes that explains how thing fit, I'll finish it.

> > If not, can someone pls outline the steps I need to take in order
> > add C# output to ANTLR?
> > - I am familiar with C# and Java but not with ANTLR. So as long
as I
> > am pointed in the right direction (and all the right directions
pls),
> > I'll be OK.
> > - If I get helpful pointers in time, I'll get cranking with the
hope
> > that C# support will be added before 2.7.2 reaches final status.
> > - On that note, is there a grammar for ANTLR that has extensive
> > compliance tests that I can use to test the generated grammar-
parser?

> The example grammars are a good step, but (mea culpa mea culpa)
there is
> no good regression test.  Nothing automated anyway.
>
> As for a code generator, the diff between CPP and Java should be a
good
> clue.  You need a code generator object called CSharpCodeGenerator
> (subclass of CodeGenerator) plus an action.g file to parse C#
actions
> within a grammar and lots of support code in C# that would mimick
the
> C++ and Java stuff.
>
> Probably not something that can be done that quickly, although C#
is
> remarkably close to Java ;)

OK, if I do the following:
1) Create the file antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java using
antlr/JavaCodeGenerator.java as a template
2) create a new directory antlr/actions/csharp and port all the stuff
from antlr/actions/java into it
3) do the same for antlr/examples/csharp from antlr/examples.java

Will this result in C# as a new target?. If not, what else do I need
to do please?

LIB:
I noticed that there isn't an antlr/lib/java directory. Something
tells me it exists somewhere nonetheless - perhaps subsumed into
ANTLR itself - and that it needs porting too. Is this correct? Can
you identify the files that comprise this "lib/java" pls?

TESTING:
I'm thinking that perhaps I can use the Jacks suite to test the
parsing with the Java grammar?

I *am* happy to aim for inclusion in 2.7.2 but as you can see, I need
help getting around the ANTLR source tree at this stage.

Thanks

Micheal