[antlr-interest] Problems getting ANTLR lexer to distinguish ML comments from JavaDoc comments

Marco Hunsicker development at hunsicker.de
Mon Jul 1 12:13:22 PDT 2002

>It compiles ok, but when I run it I get the following error message:
>
>Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassFormatError: JavaLexer (Code
>of a method longer than 65535 bytes)
>
>Do you know this bug or just a smarter way to solve my problem in the
>lexer?

This problem is fixed with ANTLR 2.7.2a1 or later. It's more a problem
of the JRE because of some huge static blocks generated by ANTLR.

BTW, I'm currently developing yet another Java Source Code Formatter
and already implemented a Javadoc parser. It's heavily based upon the
HTML 3.2 grammar that ships with ANTLR and works quite good albite not
the way you outline in your mail (I don't use multi-plexing). Anyway,
if you want to download the sources and take a look, visit
http://jalopy.sf.net/download.html

Cheers,
Marco