[antlr-interest] nesting level problem with Visual C++ 7.0 (Visual Studio .NET)

alanpfranks alan.franks at verizon.net
Tue Jun 18 09:40:17 PDT 2002

Hi-

I am developing a parser for an XML/SGML variant with a
large number of tag types.  This has resulted in a
deeply nested MyLexer::nextToken() function.  In fact,
the nesting levels are so deep that Visual C++ 7.0
produces the following error:

 c:\dev\MyLexer.cpp(539): fatal error C1061: compiler limit : blocks
nested too deeply

I'm using Antlr 2.7.1, and generating C++ (obviously).
Anyone have any ideas how I could fix/workaround this,
without massaging the C++ code that Antlr produces?

thanks-
-Alan Franks
-Beckmann Technologies