[antlr-interest] tree parser example PDF docs and ANTLR Patterns (was Re: the tree parser exampl)

jsrs701 jsrs701 at yahoo.com
Tue May 7 13:04:54 PDT 2002

--- In antlr-interest at y..., "John D. Mitchell" <johnm-antlr at n...>
wrote:
> 	Do NOT send large files to mailing lists!  Just put the files
up on
> 	a ftp/http site and provide the URL for the files.

Oops, my bad.  I forgot to remove the browse database file from the
archive before posting it, which made a 92KB zip file jump to 232KB.
Apologies.

> Are the specs available in something that is readable (as opposed
to .rtf)
> by people not supporting Microsoft?

Though I'm tempted to say "no" (as this is a Win32-targeted project),
I went ahead and put up PDF versions.  They are available from the
same page (http://www.moselle.com/jsrs/protoc/protoc.html).

<aside>
Also, check out http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted/ for RTF on Unix.  File
formats, like all inanimate objects, are inherently neither good nor
evil; it's just the apps that make them so.  :-)
</aside>

One of these days I'll update the specs.  Things have changed in the
{C} world a LOT in the last couple of weeks (including the entire
read/write slot resolution system, which is kinda the whole point of
the language).

Speaking of medium-sized ANTLR projects, has anyone else thought
about putting together an ANTLR Patterns collection?  A few that I'm
thinking about, to whit:

* Expression parsers with precedence
* Successively applied tree parsers for optimization/transformation
sequences
* Text scanners (like Ter's "really big lookahead" article) vs...
* Compilers
* Interpreters

What do people think?

JSRS