[antlr-interest] Re: ACE C preprocessor by Gosling

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Wed May 29 18:09:10 PDT 2002

On Wednesday, May 29, 2002, at 04:29  PM, jsrs701 wrote:

> --- In antlr-interest at y..., Terence Parr <parrt at j...> wrote:
>> Heh, that's pretty slick.
>
> Ain't it, though?  I used to work with a guy who worked on XNews with
> Gosling at the time, and he said that Gosling came bursting in one
> Monday morning with the ACE preprocessor all done and working.
>
> The kick is that he only thought of it at about 11am on the Saturday
> before.
>
> Yes, Gosling really is that friggin' cool.  :)

I had lunch with him just before Java hit the bigtime...nice guy.
Pretty unassuming for such a distinguished career.

>> Reminds me of some stuff I'm thinking about
>> for the "emitter" stage of translation.
>
> What ho?  What is this?  Tell us, O Great One Our Leader!

<snicker>

Very secret stuff ;)  Just trying to solve that last nasty problem of
the "emitter".  You have a tree, but how the devil to you generate
output without a million print statements.  I think I have a nice
"output grammar" idea that is the inverse of the input grammar.  The
prototype of this output template stuff is currently generating HTML
pages on jGuru ;)

Ter
--
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com