[antlr-interest] Re: ACE C preprocessor by Gosling

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri May 31 14:48:04 PDT 2002

--- In antlr-interest at y..., Bogdan Mitu <bogdan_mt at y...> wrote:

> --- Terence Parr <parrt at j...> wrote:
> > Cool.  There should be lots of work for all...Loring is talking
about an
> > editor that highlights ambiguities etc... ;)
>
> Here I might be able to help. I already have an editor with syntax
highlight
> for ANTLR, an improved Ant task, and kind of "unit test" framework
for ANTLR
> grammars. If someone needs them, just let me know.

That would help.  What I've actually been thinking about is an
interactive development environment for ANTLR with
    1.)  Rule database.  This would make it easier to reuse pieces of
grammars.
    2.)  Refactoring support.  This would include ordering
alternatives to minimize "k" within a rule, computation of minimal
syntactic predicates, etc.
    3.)  Tree grammar generation and storage of rewrites:  the idea is
that you generate a tree grammar from a predecessor parse or tree
grammar, and refactor the generated grammar.  After the predecessor
grammar is changed, a new version of the tree grammar is generated and
the refactorings applied automatically.
    4.)  Interactive grammar analysis and editing support for a
multi-grammar chain (lexer, parser, multiple tree grammars).
    5.)  Output "grammar" support.  This is the last painful part of
building ANTLR translators.
    6.)  Full LL(k) analysis and predicate hoisting (just to point out
that John Mitchell has the right idea here).
    7.)  Testing support.
    8.)  Whatever else makes sense.  You mentioned reverse translation
support in a previous post; that might be possible via adding
"comments" on deleted nodes (! is not reversible otherwise) and
figuring out how to generate an ANTLR grammar as output--I suspect
that that would not be too difficult.

Except for the output grammar stuff (Ter's working on that), most of
this is either an extension of the current ANTLR engine or borrows
from other efforts.  My guess is that this would drastically reduce
turnaround for developing a language translator.  I suspect that such
an environment would make development of domain specific languages
into ordinary programming practice.

--Loring