[antlr-interest] Java to C# translation

Addi Jamshidi ajpb at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 14 05:12:30 PST 2002

I am new to ANTLR (in fact very new)..
I am trying to convert a number of existing Java
classes into C#, and after reading the ANTLR web site
I am under the impression that:

This can be done, and in fact what Mr.  Michael J. has
provided can do this.

If my assumption is correct I have the following
questions (what do I need to run for this to happen?):

1) I did download the antlr-2.7.2a2-CSharp.zip file.
And tried to follow the instructions for building it.
However I have been getting tons of errors (e.g.
classes not found, Load exception errors, etc.). The
doc says to run  build.bat from the antlr top
directory. I have done that, in fact I have tried
running the build files from every directory there is,
and still I get the similar errors.

2) I then downloaded antlr-2.7.0.zip and installed it.
And then unzipped antlr-2.7.2a2-CSharp.zip for its
contained files to be copied in the directory tree
that antlr-2.7.0.zip created. Then I copied all the
build files into the antlr directory (i.e.
antlr-2.7.0\antlr directory), and then tried running
build.bat.

3) This time it did work better, however I am still
getting 33 errors during the build (some of which I
have included at the bottom of this email)...

So my questions are:

1) Is it true to assume that given a .java file, I can
convert that to C# (completely or partially) using
antlr-2.7.2a2-CSharp.zip?

2) If so how can I use it (i.e. what do I need to run
for this to happen)?

Many thanks in advance,

Addi Jamshidi

P.S - Here are a few of the errors I am getting during
the build per explanation given earlier...

c:\j2sdk1.4.0\jre\lib\rt.jar(java/lang/IllegalAccessException.class)]
..\antlr\Tool.java:296: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : method getFormatter  ()
location: interface antlr.FileLineFormatter

System.err.println(FileLineFormatter.getFormatter().
                                            ^
..\antlr\Tool.java:382: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : variable Version
location: class antlr.Tool
                           Version.project_version + "
  1989-2002 jGuru.com");
                           ^
..\antlr\Tool.java:383: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : variable Version
location: class antlr.Tool
        version = Version.project_version;
                  ^
..\antlr\Tool.java:410: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class PreservingFileWriter
location: class antlr.Tool
        return new PrintWriter(new
PreservingFileWriter(outputDir + System.getPr
operty("file.separator") + f));
                                   ^
c:\j2sdk1.4.0\jre\lib\rt.jar(java/lang/StringBuffer.class)]
..\antlr\Tool.java:571: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : method getFormatter  ()
location: interface antlr.FileLineFormatter

System.err.println(FileLineFormatter.getFormatter().
                                            ^
..\antlr\Tool.java:584: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : method getFormatter  ()
location: interface antlr.FileLineFormatter

System.err.println(FileLineFormatter.getFormatter().
                                            ^
..\antlr\Tool.java:587: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : method getFormatter  ()
location: interface antlr.FileLineFormatter

System.err.println(FileLineFormatter.getFormatter().
                                                ^
..\antlr\Tool.java:600: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : variable StringUtils
location: class antlr.Tool
            nameSpace = new
NameSpace(StringUtils.stripFrontBack(name, "\"", "\"
"));
                                      ^
[checking antlr.NameSpace]
c:\j2sdk1.4.0\jre\lib\rt.jar(java/util/AbstractList.class)]
c:\j2sdk1.4.0\jre\lib\rt.jar(java/util/AbstractCollection.class)]
[checking antlr.DefineGrammarSymbols]
..\antlr\DefineGrammarSymbols.java:20:
antlr.DefineGrammarSymbols should be decl
ared abstract; it does not define
beginSubRule(antlr.Token,int,boolean) in antlr
.DefineGrammarSymbols
public class DefineGrammarSymbols implements
ANTLRGrammarParseBehavior {
       ^
..\antlr\DefineGrammarSymbols.java:129: cannot resolve
symbol
symbol  : method encodeLexerRuleName
(java.lang.String)
location: class antlr.CodeGenerator
            id =
CodeGenerator.encodeLexerRuleName(id);
                              ^
..\antlr\DefineGrammarSymbols.java:454: cannot resolve
symbol
symbol  : variable StringUtils
location: class antlr.DefineGrammarSymbols
            key =
StringUtils.stripFrontBack(name.getText(), "\"",
"\"");
                  ^
..\antlr\DefineGrammarSymbols.java:497: cannot resolve
symbol
symbol  : method encodeLexerRuleName
(java.lang.String)
location: class antlr.CodeGenerator
            id =
CodeGenerator.encodeLexerRuleName(id);
                              ^
..\antlr\DefineGrammarSymbols.java:565: cannot resolve
symbol
symbol  : variable StringUtils
location: class antlr.DefineGrammarSymbols
                language =
StringUtils.stripBack(StringUtils.stripFront(value.ge
tText(), '"'), '"');
                                                 ^
..\antlr\DefineGrammarSymbols.java:565: cannot resolve
symbol
symbol  : variable StringUtils
location: class antlr.DefineGrammarSymbols
                language =
StringUtils.stripBack(StringUtils.stripFront(value.ge
tText(), '"'), '"');
                           ^
..\antlr\DefineGrammarSymbols.java:576: cannot resolve
symbol
symbol  : variable StringUtils
location: class antlr.DefineGrammarSymbols
                tool.literalsPrefix =
StringUtils.stripFrontBack(value.getText()
                                      ^
[checking antlr.Grammar]