[antlr-interest] newbie: help grammar trips on dual use period

DogbertKarma gossman at free-source.com
Thu Nov 14 07:07:00 PST 2002

All,
I'm thinking this should be easy to do, unluckily I'm new enough at
antlr that I'm missing something and I'm hoping that with a little
push from you'all that I can solve this.

I've got a grammar (not allowed to change it) of the form:

(interface):(base_object).(sub_object)*.(variable) = (value)

so a file of these would look like:

// example comment
ethernet:dog.tail = true
serial:cat.collar.tag = 123.6
ethernet:dog.snout = 12
// another example comment

I keep hanging up on the fact that the (.) period is dual use. It is
both a delimiter and part of the value when the value is a floating
point number.

Thanks,
Matt