[antlr-interest] ANTLR build and package layout

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Thu Sep 19 02:18:26 PDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 08:47:27PM -0500, Brian Smith wrote:
> (1) I am interested in contributing some patches to ANTLR. But, the
> makefile seems not to work on Windows, with or without Cygwin. Since
> ANTLR is pure Java, I am wondering if the ANTLR developers would
> consider switching to Apache Jakarta ANT for building? I could submit
> the ANT build script.

What is not working on windows? I personally am not ANT fan, then again I'm
the weird C++ guy here ;)

> (2) It would be easier to understand the ANTLR source code if it were
> divided into more packages. It is particularly confusing to have the
> ANTLR runtime library and the code generator source code together in the
> same package. Would it be possible to move the classes that support
> antlr.Tool to their own package (antlr.tool.*)? Presumably antlr.Tool
> itself would have to stay in the "antlr" package for backwards
> compatibility with the ANTLR ANT Task and IDE integration, but I am not
> sure.

Good point. I think it's on the TODO list somewhere. Terence already did a
mea culpa about the source organisation a while back ;) No clue when this
will be taken on though.

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- klaren at cs.utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893722  ----