[antlr-interest] Re: JavaTreeParser? What does it do?

micheal_jor open.zone at virgin.net
Tue Apr 29 15:01:57 PDT 2003

> Tree parsers do the "getFirstChild()" and "getNextSibling()" for
> you as well as matching a tree pattern--the whole idea is to extend
> the ANTLR parsing concept to trees.  About the only case where you
> might want to walk a tree without a tree parser is when
the "Visitor"
> pattern is appropriate.

Hi Loring,

Do you have any guidelines/advise on choosing between an architecture
using the Visitor pattern or TreeParsers?

Having made full support of hetero-ASTs a priority in the C# codegen -
 to support the use of Visitors with ANTLR-built trees - we now often
need to choose between both architectures.

Cheers,

Micheal