[antlr-interest] on parsers look and feel + #["="]

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Mon Dec 1 05:18:39 PST 2003

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 05:57:39PM +0200, Cristian Amitroaie wrote:
> We still have an issue, that is #[] constructs when building ASTs. It's not
> straightforward. You need to write #[EQ, "="]. Why not #["="]? Afterall
> antlr computes a token table with enum_type/string/numbers associations...
>
> Maybe we should ask Terr for an enhancement?

Doing this in the tree construction stuff is probably not a good idea.
There's no unique mapping from AST type (e.g. as returned by getType()
(first parameter of #[x,y]) and the text (as returned by getText(), 2nd
parameter). So this can easily blow up. (As Thomas Brandon already pointed
out if I recall right)

Another reason against it is the crummy action parser interface in antlr
I'd rather not see this added on top of that (at least I won't touch it
with a 100ft pole after that happens unless its completely rewritten :)
that piece of code is enough of a horror already :(

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893722  ----