[antlr-interest] Re: feature request: Token.getOffset()

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 8 13:04:21 PST 2003

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Ric Klaren <klaren at c...> wrote:
..
> (/grants loring permission to throw something at him) Hmmm so we can get up
> to a 20% gain in our lexers by kicking out the column stuff ;) ? Or move
> the checking of tabs out of the CharScanner::consume method and handle them
> similarly to newline by explicit calls in the lexer?

The 20% would require heavy optimization of the lexer--right now, ANTLR lexers are grossly inefficient.  Handling tab() like newline(),
though, would be a good idea.  line/column information is generally useful (it's hard to imagine a production batch translator that didn't
need the line/column error reporting for text processing.  Ter's working on doing a few things that should significantly improve ANTLR
lexer performance.

--Loring