FW: [antlr-interest] got new "language implementation" lectur e au dio up

Jim O'Connor Jim.OConnor at microfocus.com
Wed Feb 19 13:47:27 PST 2003

Hi Matt,
  It has many features that my Java analysis tool needs.  It parses a Java
file (Grammar).  It creates a symbol table (resolves
types/variables/methods).  With the Antlr grammar, I can construct an AST
for any number of purposes.  The JavaSrc code creates HTML pages similar to
JavaDoc.  The HTML creation is a nice sidelight to view the initial work but
may not be useful for all purposes.

  I would like to incorporate the symbol table information with the AST
information to create a local database for each java file, class or other
"destinct module", whatever that means.   The AST allows navigation throught
the parse tree but doesn't tell me (quickly)  where the class ACCOUNT is
used throughout the file.  Where is the method ACCOUNT.balance() used?

  My current strategy is to

A. parse lots of java files
B.  save off XML representations of each AST
c. gather the symbol table information
D. resolve type/variable/methods
E. ?write out the symbol table information?
F. read in an AST
	1. Match the AST with Symbol table information
	2. Create a sorted "local database" for each AST
G. Re-work names/coarse grained items for easy lookup.

The "click the links" javadoc approach is a valuable tool.  My goal is a
more interactive fine grained query at fast speeds.  With a database that
can support these queries, I will be able to solve the year 10,000 problem
in Java code.  Where are all date fields that use just four characters to
represent a year?

Jim

P.S. If you can tell me how "smart" IDEs work, I'm all ears.