[antlr-interest] New Language Glossary

Robert Colquhoun rjc at trump.net.au
Thu Jan 2 16:10:36 PST 2003

Hello,

At 03:27 PM 2/01/2003 -0800, Terence Parr wrote:
>I'm waiting to hear from people about the release candidate (probably
>Monday people will be back).  Then we push!  I have to start preparing
>for my grad language class that starts at the end of this Month at USF!
>:)

I have tried it with my BASIC compiler and everything has worked so
far...got a couple of deprecation warnings on compiling which were easily
fixed(setASTNodeType->setASTNodeClass).

>I'll thinking about the build process at this point.  Boy do I hate
>Ant. :(  Icky poo.  I think I'll just keep my stupid shell script that
>rebuilds everything since it only takes like 2 seconds on my old OS X
>box. ;)

Surely 10e6 people have sent you ant scripts for antlr by now....maybe just
copy one of them in and put the authors email address at the top to handle
all the problems and complaints.

The problem with ant alternatives is for java projects that have to work
across windows/unix is how unportable they are.  Make and Gmake exec
processes for so much of their functionality ie 'find', 'grep', 'touch'
which are a real pain to get working reliably across platforms.  Using
shell scripts and batch files means maintaining at least 2 versions which
always seem to get out of sync.

I have heard the people in the java world that don't like ant are often
using the javamake tool from a  shell script or
something(http://www.experimentalstuff.com/Technologies/JavaMake/)

As well as build process how are you going to package antlr?  At the moment
there is a 'antlr.jar' for runtime and need to include the antlr home
directory in the classpath to run the tool. Alot of people seem to rebuild
antlr.jar to include everything.

  - Robert