[antlr-interest] antlr 2.7.2 release candidate 2 available

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Sun Jan 5 15:02:55 PST 2003

Folks,

I have updated the download area with rc2 that has the updated
documentation and so on.  I have not yet responded to a few problems
reported by you folks, but I wanted to get the doc up and also to test
my new build procedure.

I don't like having to download yet another tool just to build
something (e.g., Ant or python).  Further, XML should not be used for
human consumption (e.g., Ant).  What I want is a stupid build script
that just compiles everything and then jar's it up.  When it only takes
a few seconds to rebuild the whole 50k line program, why on earth would
we bother with dependencies and other junk.  Problem is that scripts
are not portable...Java is however.  So, I added a simple means for
ANTLR to self-compile and build a jar.  package antlr/build has a
simple Tool in it that lets me say:

java antlr.build.Tool build

This uses property antlr.build.root to figure out where the antlr dir
associated with the antlr package resides.  It defaults to "." (current
directory).  You may also set the compiler as in:

java -Dantlr.build.compiler=jikes antlr.build.Tool build

I have tested this on win2k (cmd shell and bash from GNU) and Mac OS X.
Further, I have removed all of the build shell scripts and mkjar type
scripts I had since there is only one all encompassing antlr.jar now
(450k) and a self-
build tool.  Main dir is now clear of my build stuff...just C++ and C#
stuff in there now.

I'm assuming there will be an uproar over my introducing yet another
build type thing, but having ANTLR build itself just makes sense and
doesn't depend on anything else.

Oh, the build procedure ignores antlr/util package as I have stuff in
there I'm not sure is ready for prime time and depends on my groovy
StringTemplate stuff.  I'll probably just remove this for this release.

Ter
--
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
Lecturer in Comp. Sci., University of San Francisco