[antlr-interest] example where backtracking fails

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Thu Jan 30 13:53:21 PST 2003

Folks,

I remember that years ago there was a nice example of a backtracking LL
parser failing to correctly match the input.  Naturally this must be
because use of lookahead myopically removes a path in the parse that
will eventually lead to the correct parse.  Intuitively that sort of
makes sense, but I can't remember where I saw that grammar.  Since a
backtracker always tries all possibilities, i was surprised to find an
example that didn't work (now I conclude it must be because of
lookahead).

Can anybody help find that thing.  I've spent an hour in google and
yahoogroups.com and dejanews.com :(

Thanks,
Ter
--
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
Lecturer in Comp. Sci., University of San Francisco