[OT] Re: [antlr-interest] Re: Managed to compile under .Net !!

Robert Colquhoun rjc at trump.net.au
Wed Jul 2 16:19:33 PDT 2003

Hello,

At 08:38 AM 3/07/2003 +1000, Lloyd Dupont wrote:
> > They did not forget. This is a legal issue. J# can be Java compatible
> > up to version 1.1.4 while File.getParentFile() was introduced in jdk
> > 1.2.
> > Tom Jastrzebski
> >
>ha ?
>I don't understand why it is a legal issue reading your comment.
>btw, as you seems to know a fair bit about that I have a question.
>I'm both a Java & .NET (C#) programmer, and I'm quite frustrated that J#
>stopped at 1.1.4.
>I found a swing library for .NET, by Microsoft, but..... without the JTable
>& JTree ! arrggghh....

I have a patch here to enable java 1.1 compilation:
         http://www.trump.net.au/~rjc/antlr/index.html

It replaces a File.getParentFile() call with f.getParent() and replaces a
Hashset use with Hashtable(...interesting that J# appeared to know about
1.2 collections).

>why don't they implement a JdK superior to 1.1.4 ?
>a 1.4 implementation, or even just 1.2 would be good !
>I crave for Swing.NET !
>
>do you know why ?

Banned by court order maybe?  Also would hurt their C# push.

I think you can get third party apps to provide an emulation layer to run
JVM apps on CLR and to run CLR applications on JVM.

- Robert