[antlr-interest] Re: Managed to compile under .Net !!

tdjastrzebski tdjastrzebski at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 04:09:05 PDT 2003

I did not say that it is not all Microsoft's fault. Indeed, it is.
But under current agreement, which they were force to sing as a
penalty, Microsoft can not develop the product (regardless it is J++
or J#) any further than version 1.1.4. Which means thay can not even
do reverse engineering and implement functionality found in new
versions. Some other company could, but not Microsoft.

Tom Jastrzebski

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "Anthony W Youngman"
<Anthony.Youngman at E...> wrote:
> I'd refer you to clause 7 too ...
>
> Note that it says the purpose of all the previous stuff is "to
enable MS
> to continue shipping existing product 'as is' ". Hence the ban on
> improving it ... Note also that the "existing product" was
called "Java"
> when it breached the compatibility requirements and, as such, was
not
> allowed to be called Java as per the contract.
>
> In other words, this was a "get-out" agreement, to avoid MS being
forced
> to pull the plug on Java developers - it was in Sun's interest and
in
> MS's interest to allow the existing state of affairs to continue,
but
> Sun did not want MS to make further incompatible modifications.
>
> Oh - and when I said MS was behaving like a spoilt brat I wasn't
> thinking of the current legal spat - I was thinking of this one. It
was
> ALWAYS an option open to MS to submit their JVM for testing, and if
it
> had passed the compatibility tests it would have been fine to ship.
But

http://safariexamples.informit.com/0130320722/mslegal/java/settlement.
> html
> - see section 6(a) and others
> They can not even improve performance (!) - section 7(a)iii
>
> Well, you are right. It can be compatible but ... they (MS) would
> need a new license for it. Current license does not allow them to
go
> beyond version 1.1.4 (http://java.sun.com/pr/2001/01/pr010123-
> 01.html).
>
> I think MS is just afraid that if they continue to develop new
> versions compatible with new "official" versions Sun could try to
> prove in court that this is still Java but named J#. (J++ was not
> named Java too). And they would probably win.
>
> Of course MS could get a new license but I am not sure they
actually
> could. And right now, I am sure, they do not want to.
> Remember, whatever they say this is primary about business and
> competition.
>
> > MS is acting like a spoilt brat
>
> Well, I think it is kind of new Sun's point of view, when they want
> MS to distribute their VM :) But read their older statements...
>
> Cheers,
> Tom Jastrzebski
>

> <Anthony.Youngman at E...> wrote:
> > Where's the legal stuff saying it CAN'T be compatible?
> >
> > The whole legal fuss was over the fact that MS was calling their
> stuff
> > "Java" when it couldn't pass the certification tests, and was
> > *deliberately* making their implementation appear to produce
> portable
> > code when it was stuffed with Win32 extensions.
> >
> > As far as I know, there is ABSOLUTELY NO BARRIER to MS including
> > Java-compatibility stuff. The two points at issue are that MS is
> acting
> > like a spoilt brat, and that Sun got an injunction saying that MS
> > couldn't call it "Java" unless it could pass the Java-
compatibility