[antlr-interest] Re: Summary of ANTLR Issues

Tiller, Michael (M.M.) mtiller at ford.com
Wed Jul 9 13:06:19 PDT 2003

> From: lgcraymer [mailto:lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov]
> Subject: [antlr-interest] Re: Summary of ANTLR Issues
>

> Actually, immediate invocation of an AST method is something that
> ANTLR 3 probably won't support--we are likely to change the way ASTs
> are constructed to optimize away the problem of excessive AST node
> allocation (creating a node and then never using it).  The idea is
> that ANTLR would construct a list of AST operations (node creation,
> add sibling, make root) and then apply them at the end of a
> rule.  You would have to have "MyMethod" called by the constructor.
>
> --Loring

Really!  That seems a little extreme to me.  Not only does it remove the
ability to work on the heterogeneous ASTS, it seems to remove the ability to
work on the current AST completely?!?  Do you really think it will be worth
it do this?  Wouldn't a clever allocator (that recycled ASTs) be much
better?

This would be really disappointing (in my opinion) because I work on the
current AST all the time (providing scoping information, annotating the AST
nodes with relationship information).  Sure I have to do a silly cast now
(because of the lack of heteroAST support), but I couldn't even use my
casting trick in this case! (if I'm understanding you correctly)

--
Mike