[antlr-interest] GCJ

Robert Colquhoun rjc at trump.net.au
Fri Jul 11 01:05:26 PDT 2003

At 07:47 PM 10/07/2003 -0700, paul taney wrote:

>--- Robert Colquhoun <rjc at trump.net.au> wrote:
> > At 05:05 PM 10/07/2003 -0700, paul taney wrote:
> >
> > >Anybody have a clue?
> >
> > Yes why not just try to compile the jar:
> >
> > ie gcj --main=Tool antlr.jar
> >
> >   - Robert
>
>Thank you.
>
>$ gcj --main=Tool antlr.jar
>antlr.jar:0: Not a valid Java .class file.
>
>$ gcj --main=Tool ./antlr.jar
>./antlr.jar:0: Not a valid Java .class file.
>

>Is there an option for compiling a jar file?

Yes as well as ordinary class files.

I just tried it -  the standard build procedure from 2.7.2 though produces
an antlr.jar which looks to be missing some CSharp actions classes:

-sh-2.05b$ gcj --main=Tool antlr.jar
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java: In class `antlr.CSharpCodeGenerator':
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java: In method
`antlr.CSharpCodeGenerator.processActi
onForSpecialSymbols(java.lang.String,int,antlr.RuleBlock,antlr.ActionTransIn
fo)'
:
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3824: cannot find file for class
antlr.actions.cs
harp.ActionLexer
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3824: cannot find file for class
antlr.actions.cs
harp.ActionLexer
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3824: cannot find file for class
antlr.actions.cs
harp.ActionLexer
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3824: cannot find file for class
antlr.actions.cs
harp.ActionLexer
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3824: cannot find file for class
antlr.actions.cs
harp.ActionLexer
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3824: cannot find file for class
antlr.actions.cs
harp.ActionLexer
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3824: cannot find file for class
antlr.actions.cs
harp.ActionLexer
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3840: cannot find file for class
antlr.actions.cs
harp.ActionLexer
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3840: cannot find file for class
antlr.actions.cs
harp.ActionLexer
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3840: cannot find file for class
antlr.actions.cs
harp.ActionLexer
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3840: class
'antlr.actions.csharp.ActionLexer' ha
s no method named '<init>' matching signature
'(Ljava/lang/String;Lantlr/RuleBlo
ck;Lantlr/CodeGenerator;Lantlr/ActionTransInfo;)V'
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3840: expected type 'null' but stack
contains 'vo
id'
antlr/CSharpCodeGenerator.java:3840: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

-sh-2.05b$ gcj --version
gcj (GCC) 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)

-sh-2.05b$ man gcj
GCJ(1)                                GNU                               GCJ(1)

NAME
        gcj - Ahead-of-time compiler for the Java language

SYNOPSIS
        gcj [-Idir...] [-d dir...]
            [--CLASSPATH=path] [--classpath=path]
            [-foption...] [--encoding=name]
            [--main=classname] [-Dname[=value]...]
            [-C] [--resource resource-name] [-d directory]
            [-Wwarn...]
            sourcefile...

DESCRIPTION
        As gcj is just another front end to gcc, it supports many of the same
        options as gcc.    This manual only documents the options specific to
        gcj.

OPTIONS
        Input and output files

        A gcj command is like a gcc command, in that it consists of a number of
        options and file names.  The following kinds of input file names are
        supported:

        file.java
            Java source files.

        file.class
            Java bytecode files.

        file.zip
        file.jar
            An archive containing one or more ".class" files, all of which are
            compiled.  The archive may be compressed.

        @file

  - Robert