[antlr-interest] GCJ

Robert Colquhoun rjc at trump.net.au
Fri Jul 11 07:05:58 PDT 2003

Hi Pete,

At 12:27 PM 11/07/2003 +0100, Pete Forman wrote:
>A colleague has taken an expression parser that I've written using
>ANTLR and compiled it using GCJ.  He reports that it now runs 30
>times faster.

Thats quite a performance improvement!   Does the timing include starting
up the jvm then parsing a single expression and shutting down the jvm?

>Two notes are
>
>1) The regular javac was used to compile from .java to .class.  GCJ
>     was invoked on the .class files, both of my code and the ANTLR
>     library.

Compiling from class files is easier - bytecodes are much more concise than
source but still higher level than regular asm so that the original program
semantics can be mostly re-constructed in the compiler.

>2) GCJ currently supports JDK 1.2.  We needed to replace some features
>     that were new in JDK 1.4 with other code.

Not all of 1.2 - one of the things missing when compiling antlr was any
support at all for swing.  The awt stuff might also have been a bit suspect.

  - Robert